CITY of San Luis Obispo - NEW Business License Application
What you need to know to get started.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are doing business from your home and your home is located within the City limits,
you must submit a Home Occupation Permit Form and a Business License, in person, directly to
the Community Development Department at 919 Palm Street.
1. Business licenses are renewed on a fiscal year basis July 1st through June 30th.
2. Business start date is the first date your business started in the City.
3. Employee identification #is REQUIRED. Sole owner or partnerships are required to provide social security #s for all owners/partners.
LLC, Limited Partnership, Trust or Corporations are required to provide a FEIN or SEIN for the business.
4. If the business is located in the City you must also attach a Zoning and Building Clearance Form.
The application is available by clicking here
5. Payment will not be required until your application has been accepted. You will receive an email verifying the receipt of application.
Within 10 days an email containing the amount due and instructions how to make a payment on-line.
Per AB 2184, you may protect your residential address by providing a different Service of Process address in accordance with
Sections 16000.1(a)(2) and 16100.1(a)(2) of the Business and Professions Code.
To do so, please Apply in person - you may not apply online.
We wish you much success in your business venture.
City of San Luis Obispo
Business License Division